Steel leaves professional CS:GO career to pursue VALORANT
CMD368 – Veteran Canadian in-game leader Josh “steel” Nissan will leave CS:GO to pursue a career in professional VALORANT, his current team Chaos confirmed after reports by Jarek “DeKay” Lewis and HLTV. It is also expected that Edgar “MarKE” Maldonado will be the player stepping into the roster. Given steel’s role as the in-game leader for the team, a new player will need to step up to the role. It makes the most sense that Anthony “vanity” Malaspina to take the mantle of IGL given his experience with the position, having done it for eUnited.
Even at the best of times change is constant.
Coming off of our recent success, @JoshNissan will be transitioning to streaming full-time as a content creator focused on Valorant.
— Chaos EC (@ChaosEC) August 31, 2020
Steel, perhaps, is mostly known for his stint with iBUYPOWER and the famous match-fixing scandal in 2014. He and three fellow teammates—swag (now known as brax), AZK, and DaZeD—were indefinitely banned from Valve-sponsored tournaments in 2015. While none of the players have been allowed to compete in Valve’s Majors, all four were unbanned by tournament organizers such as ESL, DreamHack, and FACEIT in 2017.
Ban aside, Steel had been developing younger players since 2017. The 30-year-old said in a recent interview to HLTV that his departure from CS:GO was “just a matter of when.” Although Chaos has been on a rise since the additions of Erick “Xeppaa” Bach and Nathan “leaf” Orf in May and June, respectively, the team can’t attend the Majors with steel. None of the reports said which team steel will play for. But considering that the VALORANT is new, many organizations will likely be interested in the veteran in-game leader.
With VALORANT kicking off in pretty positive fashion and many organizations looking for players as they hope to join the scene, it seems a future in the title with which he could attempt to compete in the biggest and most prestigious events has drawn 30-year-old to the game.